French fitness guru, Rebecca Burger killed in freak accident with whipped cream dispenser

French fitness blogger and Instagram star killed by exploding whipped cream dispenser
Well known fashion and fitness blogger, Rebecca Burger,  died the June 18th, 2017 in an accident at her home in Mulhouse, Eastern France
Burger died after a pressurized whipped cream dispenser exploded, hitting her in the chest e
Burger allegedly was hit violently in the chest by the exploding canister, leading to a heart attack
 rebecca-burger18.png
Rebecca Burger was a well known fashion and fitness blogger and Instagram star

French authorities are investigating the death of a fashion blogger reportedly hit by an exploding whipped cream canister that was withdrawn from the market in 2013, officials and the company that makes the product said Thursday.
The Instagram star and well-known French fitness blogger died in a freak accident after a pressurized canister used for dispensing whipped cream exploded, hitting her in the chest.
The prosecutor’s office in the eastern city of Mulhouse said that an investigation is underway into Saturday’s death of Rebecca Burger and whether a faulty siphon on a high-pressure canister used to make and dispense whipped cream was at fault.
Consumer magazine 60 Million Consumers reported that the victim was hit violently in the chest by the exploding canister, and said that led to a heart attack.
Samplle of the deadly whipped cream dispenser Sample of the deadly cream dispenser
Rebecca Burger, who had a large following on the social media site, where she posted regular pictures of herself promoting fitness products, was killed in eastern France in what the family said was a domestic incident.
“It is with great sadness we announce the death of Rebecca who died the June 18th, 2017 in an accident in the home,” read a statement on Burger’s Instagram account, signed “The grieving family”.
The post was followed by hundreds of comments from her shocked and saddened followers.

“This is completely unfair, crazy and I have no words. I am sorry for your loss,” wrote one fan.

Rebecca Burger Obituary1
Another post included a photograph of a dispenser made by the brand Ard’Time, which has a small pressurised canister, alongside a warning not to use similar devices.
“Here is an example of a whipped cream canister that exploded and struck Rebecca’s chest, resulting in her death,” the post read.
“Do not use this kind of utensil in your home! Tens of thousands of defective devices are still in circulation.”
Rebecca Burger22.png 
According to the deputy editor of the magazine, Benjamin Douriez, the incidents have been occurring since at least 2010. “We are up to 60 accidents”..

“It is, to our knowledge, the first time there has been a death from such an explosion. … We knew it would happen one day,” Douriez said.

Rebecca Burger21.pngRebecca Burger17
Another post included a photograph of a dispenser made by the brand Ard’Time, which has a small pressurised canister, alongside a warning not to use similar devices.
“Here is an example of a whipped cream canister that exploded and struck Rebecca’s chest, resulting in her death,” the post read.
“Do not use this kind of utensil in your home! Tens of thousands of defective devices are still in circulation.”
rebecca-burger15.pngThe dispenser in the image is not actually the one that exploded which was taken away by police.
According to reports in France the victim’s brother has announced that the family will sue the company that made the dispenser.A police source confirmed the death to AFP. Officers have opened an investigation.
Rebecca Burger25.pngRebecca Burger26.png
Her death comes after after two similar accidents in France in 2014. Neither resulted in death.
France’s National Consumer Institute (INC) had already issued a warning over the same type of cannister, used by the Ard’Time brand, saying the plastic lid may not be able to withstand pressure from carbon dioxide inside.
In 2014 The Local reported how at least 15 brands of dispensers sitting in thousands of French kitchens had the same defect and a consumer watchdog group called for the government to mount a full-scale public education campaign on the dangers of the devices.

When a user screws a new gas cartridge into the head of one of the defective canisters the resulting pressure causes the spray nozzle to break free and fire off like a rubber bullet, French consumer watchdog group 60 Millions de Consommateurs said at the time.
Whipped cream making casualties aren’t that rare in France. The watchdog group said the whipped cream propelled missiles have cut users necks and hands, prompted serious injuries to faces and throats.
Rebecca Burger 16.png
In June 2013 a woman in Corsica even lost an eye when her dispenser exploded, French daily Le Parisien reported. Then last October an older woman, trying to make a dessert for her grandson, was wounded when her whip cream maker ran amok.
“There was a huge explosion. I fell to the ground. I broke six ribs and my sternum,” she told RTL radio. “At the hospital they told me that if the shock and the blast had been directed at my heart, I’d be dead now.”
60 Million Consumers said it had been warning for years of such risks after dozens of incidents, but this was apparently the first death reported.
According to the deputy editor of the magazine, Benjamin Douriez, the incidents have been occurring since at least 2010. “We are up to 60 accidents”..
“It is, to our knowledge, the first time there has been a death from such an explosion. … We knew it would happen one day,” Douriez said.

Rebecca Burger8

Reacting to the blogger’s death, Ard’Time released a statement saying: “Ard’Time is aware of this accident and unfortunately can only deplore it, although at this stage there is nothing to establish a link between this accident and our brand,” said the company.
“We cannot let it be said that we have done nothing since February 2013, the date of the first incident involving an Ard’Time siphon,” the company said in a statement to L’Express newspaper.

Ard’time, said the product has not been on the market since a “first incident implicating a siphon” in February 2013. Products were withdrawn from the market and destroyed, a company statement said, and other efforts made to alert consumers.
“Unfortunately, there are still lots of siphons of all brands that remain potentially dangerous as time passes,” the company said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s